Monday, March 24, 2008

First ER Visit

Before I begin, Noah is fine...

This past weekend, Noah and I went up to my parents' lake house at Lake Gaston. I decided last minute to head up after Noah's bedtime on Thursday. We did his normal routine but instead of putting him down in his crib, we put him down in the carseat. I was nervous about getting him out of the car and back down once we got there but he did great! Friday during the day, he even napped great, too... although come to find out, he obviously wasn't feeling well.....

Friday night, Noah woke up around 11:00 with the classic croup bark (sounds like a seal). I called our pediatrician's 24 hour nurse line and he confirmed that's what it was. I was so scared because we were out in the middle of nowhere, I had no idea where a hospital was, I had no idea how long it would take for someone to get there if I called 911, and Waylon wasn't there with me!! He was wheezing so bad and it sounded like his throat was closing up. We were able to get Noah calmed down and he even fell asleep in my arms, but he was still wheezing pretty bad. I called the nurse back again and when he listened to Noah's breathing, he told me that I should take him to the ER. So my parents, Noah and I loaded into the car at 1 am and headed out to the Roanoke Rapids hospital 45 minutes away. I swear, he never ceases to amaze me.... they put him in this teeny hospital gown on this big hospital bed, he had a fever of 101.5 and this horrible barking cough and was giggling and laughing and having a great time!! They gave him a steroid shot and some tylenol to bring down the fever and watched him for a while. He seemed to be doing okay, so they let us leave at 4 am.

After that drama, the rest of the weekend was pretty good although we all were very tired on Saturday. Leah and Casey came down on Saturday so that was fun to see them, too. I was really nervous that he was going to have another attack on Saturday night but luckily he didn't. Noah was really mommy-needy which I had never seen before. He's still not 100% and still had a slight fever today so he'll stay home from daycare tomorrow... Waylon and I are going to timeshare - he's going to stay home in the morning and I'll be home in the afternoon.

We came back to town on Sunday and went straight to lunch with Waylon's parents and Andrea and Sean for Easter. That was very nice and Noah got two great Easter baskets from both sets of grandparents!

Noah and I were glad to be back in town and with Waylon who spent the whole weekend cleaning up the yard and getting the lawn back in order - and cleaning the house! That was a nice homecoming.

I'll post some pictures from the weekend later this week. I'm ready to get to bed now but just wanted to update everyone.

1 comment:

Amy Grant, Stella Dot, and Yma said...

Holy cow! I just read the blog. So glad the little guy is OK! How did you know what "croup bark" was???